- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- 2-4 chipotle peppers (from a can of chipotle chili peppers in adobo), depending on how much chile heat you like, minced, plus 1 Tbsp of the adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices jack cheese
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Chipotle hot sauce to taste (we use Tabasco brand)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 poblano chile peppers, roasted, seeded, peeled and sliced (optional)*
* Optional step for roasted poblanos. Coat the poblanos with a little oil and grill or broil them until they are blackened on all sides. Alternatively, you can take the plain, un-oiled peppers and place them directly on a gas stovetop burner, turning them as needed, until they are blackened on all sides. Place the blackened peppers in a covered bowl for 15 minutes or so to steam. Peel off the charred skin and remove all the seeds. Slice into thick ribbons and toss with a little vegetable oil and salt and set aside.
1 Mix the ground beef, grated onion, minced chipotles, the adobo sauce, salt, cumin and black pepper together in a large bowl. Mix gently, just until the ingredients are combined. Do not over-mix or the burgers will be tough.
2 Form 4-6 patties from the burger mix, about 1/4 pound to 1/3 pound each. Tip: form the patties with a little indentation in the center and as they cook the patties won’t bulge as much in the center.
3 Grill the burgers over medium-high heat (with the grill lid down) until done, about 6-7 minutes per side, depending on how hot your grill is. Cook until the internal temperature is 140°F for medium rare, or 160°F for well done. When the burgers are almost ready, place a slice of jack cheese on each patty and close the grill lid. The cheese should melt in a little over a minute.
4 If you want toasted burger buns with your burgers, toast them after you’ve flipped the burgers. Watch that the buns don’t burn; when they are lightly toasted move them to a tray near the grill. When the burgers are ready, place them on the buns. Top with slices of avocado, then some of the roasted poblanos (if using) a little cilantro and hot sauce.